Species360 is a unique blend of a software company, a non-profit organization, and a global leader in wildlife care and conservation. We are the predominant non-profit organization serving zoos and aquariums with their animal management needs through our Zoological Information Management System (ZIMS) software.
Our members include diverse institutions around the world who use our software to record data on wildlife. This critical data enables them to provide world-class care for their animals. It also enables Species360 to develop software and scientific research that supports global conservation.
We are seeking a Manager of Engineering and Architecture to lead our high-performing engineering team, ensuring they are equipped to meet the organization’s technological needs. This role requires a proactive approach, anticipating challenges, and continuously seeking ways to improve team performance and the technology platform. The ideal candidate will be a thought leader, setting the direction of our technology, and leveraging new technological advancements to further the business of Species360.
Species360 is headquartered in Minneapolis, Minnesota, and embraces a fully remote workforce strategy, as such the Manager can be based virtually anywhere in mainland United States.
- Lead a team of Software Engineers, creating a culture of continuous improvement, innovation, automation, and collaboration within the team.
- Interview, select and hire qualified employees, set performance expectations and focus on staff development.
- Handle capacity planning and allocation for both product and non-product needs.
- Work cross-functionally to support colleagues and organizational goals and objectives.
- Design, create, and document technical approaches, setting standards for planning and decision-making.
- Lead an architectural review team, developing architectural plans, roadmaps, and ensuring clear communication to both the team and leadership.
- Establish and communicate both short-term and long-term team goals.
- Support our product development methodology, working closely with Product Owners and Scrum Master(s) to ensure engineering is represented in the process.
- Design and test proofs of concept based on architectural plans, gathering feedback from the tech team.
- Collaborate across the engineering and technology teams to ensure alignment on technologies and approaches.
- Seek new vendors or service providers to meet organization needs.
- Collaborate with senior management to define technology roadmaps and strategies.
- Stay updated with the latest industry trends and best practices in software engineering, database technology, cloud services, architectural approaches and programming.
- Allocate resources effectively to meet project deadlines and business objectives.
- Minimum of 10 years experience as a software engineer.
- Minimum of 5 years equivalent work experience as a senior software engineer.
- Minimum of 3 years managing or leading development teams.
- Agile and other rapid application development methodologies.
- Cloud platform experience, preferably GCP, but Azure or AWS a plus.
- RDBMS, SQL development and/or object-oriented programming experience.
- Languages such as Java or C# and frameworks such as Kotlin.
- Experience with React, TypeScript, and UI frameworks like MUI.
- Mobile architecture and progressive web application development.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Possess strong leadership and supervisory skills.
- Lead with a coaching and mentoring approach.
- Strong work ethic, integrity, and professionalism.
- Able to prioritize and complete multiple tasks and high volume of work on deadline.
- Passionate about technology, design, product and technical architecture, and coding and desire to develop new skills and integrate new technologies.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills, interpersonal relationship-building skills and internal and external customer service skills.
- Able to explain complicated/technical concepts to less experienced audiences.
- Plan, prioritize, coordinate, multi-task and complete work assignments within deadlines.
- Work as an effective and proactive team-player; understand the importance of supporting members and associates.
- Understand confidential nature of organization information and maintain confidences.
- Able at times to exceed the standard 40-hour work week, including evenings and weekends, to meet the position’s requirements.
More about Species360:
As the predominant non-profit serving zoo and aquarium animal management needs for 48 years, Species360 is the market leader in our field. Our Zoological Information Management System (ZIMS) is accepted and preferred by international regulatory bodies worldwide, such as CITES; recommended by the World Zoo and Aquarium Association; required by the European Association of Zoos and Aquariums.
ZIMS is the world’s most comprehensive database holding more than 22,000 species, 10,000,000 animals, and has 38,000 individual users. ZIMS is instrumental in identifying sustainability strategies for many of the species assessed as vulnerable, endangered, and extinct in the wild. We serve over 1,200 zoos, aquariums, and wildlife facilities in over 100 countries, helping our members address today’s most urgent wildlife issues. For more information about us and our conservation partners and members, please see: Species360.org.
Our Work Culture: All Are Welcome Here
Species360 is an equal opportunity employer. We serve a diverse, global population of members and welcome and value diversity in our team. We strive to be an organization that is a diverse blend of talented people that want to come, stay, and do their best work to make a difference in this world.
The compensation range for this exempt position is $130,000 – $150,000 based on experience.
Our US Benefits
We offer generous time off benefits, combining holidays and vacation into one Paid Time Off benefit for maximum employee flexibility. You start accruing PTO at 5 weeks per year. In addition, we provide 10 paid sick days plus 8 weeks of paid parenting leave.
We offer medical, dental, life, short term and long term disability insurance, and an HSA plan with employer contributions. You can contribute to our 401(k) plan immediately at hire, which includes a generous employer contribution to all employees. We provide a one-time office set-up stipend for home office equipment and supplies, in addition to providing required technology and computer.
The most important benefit to working at Species360 is our team. We offer a casual, personable, respectful, and fun work environment. Our employees are committed to an open communication culture where we value partnering to achieve the greatest results for our members. We are transparent in our operations, have an all-team meeting monthly, an annual team retreat, and encourage peer recognition and celebration.
How to Apply
If this sounds like the position and work culture you have been seeking, please apply to this position on Indeed through the button below.
EOE – LGBTQIA