Species360 is a unique blend of a software company, a non-profit organization, and a global leader in wildlife care and conservation. We are the predominant non-profit organization serving zoos and aquariums with their animal management needs through our Zoological Information Management System (ZIMS) software.
Our members include diverse institutions around the world who use our software to record data on wildlife. This critical data enables them to provide world-class care for their animals. It also enables Species360 to develop software and scientific research that supports global conservation.
We are seeking an experienced executive leader as our Director of Product Management. This position reports to the CEO. As a member of the leadership team, the Director will develop organizational goals, objectives, and strategies, lead cross-functional initiatives, proactively collaborate with and support the CEO and leadership team, and serve as an ambassador of Species360.
Species360 is headquartered in Minneapolis, Minnesota, and embraces a fully remote workforce strategy, as such the Director can be based virtually anywhere in mainland United States.
As Director of Product Management, you’ll oversee a small product team consisting of Product Managers and Product Analysts. Product Management at Species360 is responsible for guiding customer value in our platform, ensuring what we build in our product has the greatest positive impact for our customers. Your role is to lead the product team to identify the most valuable opportunities for the Species360 customer, and guide your product team to effective partnership with the engineering and design teams on solutions and execution.
At Species360, the Director of Product Management is expected to bring their considerable product management experience to:
- Defining product strategy with and as part of the Species360 Leadership team.
- Refining a product roadmap process, and continuing to evolve and update the product roadmap with the product team.
- Leading product team practice and operation, and with engineering and UX design leaders, drive improvement in product development practice.
- Communicating Species360 product strategy and roadmap to internal and member stakeholders and assist the business in aligning member contributions to strategic investment.
- Building and leading a world-class product team including management of staff and resource planning, hiring, performance management, and career development.
- Defining key skills for discovery and building skill development ladder for Product Roles, coaching Product team members to improved outcomes.
You’ll have an incredible opportunity to positively impact our mission of conservation through the Species360 platform.
- Experience leading software product development with agile teams, including 5+ years as individual contributor product manager, and 5 to 7 + years of leadership experience.
- Experience building a product roadmap consisting of strategic priorities balanced with customer feedback and priorities. Example – strategically expanding a product to serve a new customer type, while organizing high-value improvements for existing core customers.
- Experience collecting customer feedback and input, and factoring multiple/conflicting customer requests when building roadmaps.
- Experience with Agile software development processes. Formal experience with one or more recognized Agile methodologies (Scrum, XP, Kanban, etc.) preferred.
- Solid communication skills, including written, spoken, and presentation communications.
- Excellent relationship-building skills and ability to represent Species360 throughout our community.
- A track record of influencing leadership teams and/or collaborating with large customers.
- Proven ability to lead, manage, and direct a team delivering consistent, quality performance and results.
How you Work
You have a unique combination of skills, talents, and mindset:
- You have a passion for honing your craft and defining a lightweight process around what makes a product manager thrive.
- You have deep experience working with software developers and UX designers and enjoy the collaborative process required to create a great solution.
- You have significant experience working in a small-team environment and are committed to adapting and always learning.
- You work well with others, with a strong desire to find the best solution to any problem.
- You work hard towards the simplest solution to accomplish the goal.
More About Species360
As the predominant non-profit serving zoo and aquarium animal management needs for 48 years, Species360 is the market leader in our field. Our Zoological Information Management System (ZIMS) is accepted and preferred by international regulatory bodies worldwide, such as CITES; recommended by the World Zoo and Aquarium Association; required by the European Association of Zoos and Aquariums.
ZIMS is the world’s most comprehensive database holding more than 22,000 species, 10,000,000 animals, and has 38,000 individual users. ZIMS is instrumental in identifying sustainability strategies for many of the species assessed as vulnerable, endangered, and extinct in the wild. We serve over 1,200 zoos, aquariums, and wildlife facilities in over 100 countries, helping our members address today’s most urgent wildlife issues. For more information about us and our conservation partners and members, please see: Species360.org.
How to Apply
Please apply to this position on Indeed here.
Our Work Culture: All are Welcome Here
Species360 is an equal opportunity employer. We serve a diverse, global population of members and welcome and value diversity in our team. We strive to be an organization that is a diverse blend of talented people that want to come, stay, and do their best work to make a difference in this world.
The compensation range for this exempt position is $135,000 – $150,000 based on experience.
Our US Benefits
We offer generous time off benefits, combining holidays and vacation into one Paid Time Off benefit for maximum employee flexibility. You start accruing PTO at 5 weeks per year. In addition, we provide 10 paid sick days plus 8 weeks of paid parenting leave.
We offer medical, dental, life, short term and long term disability insurance, and an HSA plan with employer contributions. You can contribute to our 401(k) plan immediately at hire, which includes a generous employer contribution to all employees. We provide a one-time office set-up stipend for home office equipment and supplies, in addition to providing required technology and computer.
The most important benefit to working at Species360 is our team. We offer a casual, personable, respectful, and fun work environment. Our employees are committed to an open communication culture where we value partnering to achieve the greatest results for our members. We are transparent in our operations, have an all-team meeting monthly, an annual team retreat, and encourage peer recognition and celebration.
If this sounds like the position and work culture you have been seeking, please apply via Indeed.com through the button below.
EOE – LGBTQIA