Hiring: Software Engineer, Full stack
Remote – United Kingdom
At Species360, our mission is to help institutions to better manage their zoological, aquatic and botanical collections and to inform global species conservation efforts. We’re a non-profit tech organization serving over 1,400 members in over 100 countries around the world.
Many botanic gardens struggle to keep up with their plant records. With Hortis, we are rethinking how users can capture and utilise their plant collection data. We onboarded our first subscriber a little over a year ago and are now signing up new gardens every week. With the early start-up phase behind us, we are now looking to expand the team to meet the needs of our fast growing community of enthusiastic users. Hortis is a contemporary product that runs on any modern browser with exciting opportunities ahead for relevant and impactful adoption of a wide range of technologies.
We work directly with curators, scientists and plant specialists around the world and find great joy in engaging with the community through the whole process from inception and product design, to deployment.
Species360 is head-quartered in Minneapolis, Minnesota, with the Hortis team being based remotely in the UK and the Netherlands. We work flexibly around core hours and organise quarterly off-site get-togethers to catch up and collaborate in person.
We’re looking for an experienced product engineer, based in the UK, who can align the pieces to solve complex problems. We don’t expect you to know all the technologies in our stack, but we are looking for solid TypeScript fundamentals and React experience.
What You Will Do
- Collaborate with our cross-functional team to ship product features from conception to production, build across the stack and make decisions on infrastructure, database schema, API and UI implementation.
- Improve and polish existing features to ensure a quality user experience.
- Help improve app performance and reliability.
- Document the development process through written proposals and architectural decisions.
- Build internal tools to support team productivity, from onboarding client data to providing product analytics.
Skills You Will Bring
- An appreciation for product quality, with a focus on serving the needs of the end user.
- Thoughtful problem solving skills, with the ability to deconstruct requirements into actionable chunks.
- A clear and accurate understanding of context and being able to effectively translate ideas from domain to design and design to code.
- A pragmatic attitude when prioritising projects, always considering the relevance to our business.
- Decision making based on impact, while balancing craft, speed and the bottom line.
- An approach to technologies that includes a desire to learn and the understanding that tradeoffs need to be made.
- An empathy for team members and our users, showing thoughtfulness when communicating technical decisions or translating the needs of our users.
- The ability to engage with the domain of botanical science and horticulture. You may not yet be familiar with our domain, but we are looking for someone with the inquisitiveness to explore and learn more.
- Fully remote
- Flexible working hours
- 25 days paid holiday
- Laptop of choice
- One paid day off per year to learn more about plants and botany
- An annual membership to a botanical garden, zoo or aquarium of your choice
- A one-time stipend to set up your home office and a monthly technology allowance
- Training for whatever you need to do your job more effectively
- Enhanced shared parental leave
- Anonymous mental health support
Our Work Culture – All Are Welcome
As an equal opportunity employer, serving a global community of members, Species360 also embraces the value of diversity in its own team. We strive to be an organisation that is a rich blend of talented people working together to make a positive impact in our world.
In a casual, respectful and fun work environment, we aim to give everyone in the team the space they need to flourish and grow to their full potential. Transparent in our operations, we are committed to an open communication culture and welcome collaboration with a view to supporting our members as best we can. Peer recognition and celebration are encouraged and we organise a virtual monthly all-employee staff meeting and an annual staff retreat.
The estimated starting salary range for this position is between £40,000 – £65,000 depending on experience.
Our aim is to offer an efficient, transparent and friendly process to all candidates:
- An introductory chat.
- A take home assignment which will require up to 2 hours of work.
- A walkthrough of your assignment together with a couple of our engineers.
- A closing chat which includes members of our leadership team.
How to Apply
Please email your CV and any other supporting information to email@example.com.
This Post Has 0 Comments